Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ice Day

This post is for all of our family who live out of town. Hi to our Michigan and North Carolina Followers. On Monday evening, a winter storm started here in Evansville and didn't end until Wednesday morning. It started with ice and ended in snow. The entire tri-state is a complete mess. There are numerous downed trees and power lines. At one point, 77,000 customers were without power in Vanderburgh and Warrick Counties. Currently it is 55,000 customers without power. Steve and I are one of those households. Our side of the street and the other side are on different transformers. So our whole side is dark and cold and the other side of the street is light and warm. Weird how it works that way. That happened during the Ike storm too when our side of the street was without power for 5 days. This time, we are running a few long extension cords across the street to our neighbors' Doug and Carrie's house and sharing some of their power. Steve has our furnace hooked up to their power, so we are staying warm and we have a TV and 1 Lamp plugged in. Thanks Doug and Carrie.
They held a press conference today on TV declaring the city a "State of Emergency." The Mayor announced that no one should be running extension cords across the streets to their neighbors' house. "You should not be doing that." I am pretty sure the mayor has power at his house and unless he is inviting me to stay with him and his family in their heated house, our extension cord will stay right where it is. Vectren is saying it could be up to 2 weeks until everyone's power is restored. You just don't realize how much we depend on electricity. I think I have flipped the light switches 100 times in the last couple of days without thinking.
The Surgery Center closed on Wednesday, so I stayed in. Steve seems to think he has to investigate things and refused to stay home. He is a man. I looked out the front door Wed morning and he was melting the ice on his work Van with a blow torch. I threw a bottle of HEET for windshields out the door to him and he kept blow torching the windows. He said it was more fun that way. He always has to do things the manly way.
Something really funny happened yesterday. Our neighborhood is over populated with squirrels because of our huge mature trees that line our street. Everywhere you look you see squirrels. Steve and our neighbor Keith were standing outside looking at the damage when they heard a crack and looked up expecting to see a large limb falling toward their heads. Instead, one of those pesky little squirrels lost his footing on an icy branch and fell straight down on Keith's shoulder. He smacked the squirrel to the ground and the squirrel got his bearings, got on all fours, and ran away. Sounds like a Chevy Chase Movie. Huh?
It may be a big inconvenience to everyone, but it makes you realize how lucky we are and all the things we take for granted.
Trees are heavily weighed down by the large amount of ice Our Cars Buried in Ice and Snow Our Street A Neighbor's van that was parked on our street.
Everything is covered heavily with ice
The street behind us had a tree split and hit 2 houses. The tree took down our power lines. This is why we lost our power. This is Playboy Playmate Miss May's House.
She is always causing problems in the neighborhood, so do her trees
In all seriousness, part of the tree went through her house and will cause her a lot of headaches
getting things fixed. Steve WILL NOT be available to fix her house. Ha Ha Ha

1 comment:

Krystal said...

Tammy and Steve,
That sucks you guys don't have power. We were lucky I guess and still have ours as far as I know. I haven't been able to get to my house and my car has been stuck in the garage b/c there is no way I can get out. Neal is out there working hard trying to get people's power back on and I'm sure the lineman over there are doing the same. Hopefully you guys will get yours back soon!